- Assistant Dean (Research), Faculty of Medicine
- Associate Professor, Department of Medicine and Therapeutics
- Associate Professor, Institute of Digestive Disease, State Key Laboratory of Digestive Disease
- Principal Investigator, Clinical Metagenomics Group, Li Ka Shing Institute of Health Science
- Assembly Fellow, CW Chu College
- Gastrointestinal cancers
- Gastrointestinal infections
- Clinical metagenomics
Education & Qualifications
MBChB (CUHK)(Hons), DPhil (Oxon), FRCP (Edin), FRCPath, FHKCP, FHKAM (Medicine)
- Clostridioides difficile infection
- Gastrointestinal cancer microbiota
- Host-microbe interaction
Award and Honour
- Excellent Young Scientists Fund Award, National Natural Science Foundation of China, 2019
- Distinguished Research Paper Award for Young Investigators, Hong Kong College of Physicians, 2016, 2017 & 2018
- Youth Dream Maker Award, Youth Dream-Makers Association, 2017
- Croucher Assistant Professorship, 2013
- Associate Editor, Journal of Gastroenterology and Hepatology
- Editorial Board Member, Gut
- Member of National and International Liaison Committee, Hong Kong College of Physicians
Academic Engagement in CUHK
- Mentor, Global Physician Stream (GPS) Mentorship Scheme, Faculty of Medicine
- Coordinator, Postgraduate Student Affairs, Department of Medicine and Therapeutics
- Chairman, Committee on Mentorship & Internship, CW Chu College
- Mentor, CW Chu College Final Year Project
- Kong KY, Kwong TNY, Chan H, Wong K, Wong SSY, Chaparala AP, Chan RCY, Zhang L, Sung JJY, Yu J, Hawkey PM, Ip M, Wu WKK, Wong SH. Biological characteristics associated with virulence in Clostridioides difficile ribotype 002 in Hong Kong. Emerg Microbes Infect. 2020;9(1):631-638.
- Wong SH, Hill AV, Vannberg FO. Genomewide association study of leprosy. N Engl J Med 2010;362(15):1446-7; author reply 47-8.
- Wong SH, Gochhait S, Malhotra D et al. Leprosy and the adaptation of human Toll-like receptor 1. PLoS Pathog 2010;6(7):e100097
- Wong SH, Ip M, Hawkey PM et al. High morbidity and mortality of Clostridium difficile infection and its associations with ribotype 002 in Hong Kong. J Infect 2016;73(2):115-22.
- Ho J, Dai RZW, Kwong TNY, Wang X, Zhang L, Ip M, Chan R, Hawkey PMK, Lam KLY, Wong MCS, Tse G, Chan MTV, Chan FKL, Yu J, Ng SC, Lee N, Wu JCY, Sung JJY, Wu WKK, Wong SH. Disease burden of Clostridium difficile infections in adults, Hong Kong, China, 2006-2014. Emerg Infect Dis 2017;23(10):1671-79.
- Kwong TNY, Wang X, Nakatsu G, Chow TC, Tipoe T, Dai RZW, Tsoi KKK, Wong MCS, Tse G, Chan MTV, Chan FKL, Ng SC, Wu JCY, Wu WKK, Yu J, Sung JJY, Wong SH. Association between bacteremia from specific microbes and subsequent diagnosis of colorectal cancer. Gastroenterology 2018;155(2):383-90 e8.
- Wong SH, Kwong TN, Chow TC et al. Quantitation of faecal Fusobacterium improves faecal immunochemical test in detecting advanced colorectal neoplasia. Gut 2017;66(8):1441-48.
- Wong SH, Zhao L, Zhang X et al. Gavage of fecal samples from patients with colorectal cancer promotes intestinal carcinogenesis in germ-free and conventional mice. Gastroenterology 2017;153(6):1621-33 e6.
- Wong SH, Wu WKK. Clinical applications of gut microbiota in cancer biology. Semin Cancer Biol. 2019;55:iii-iv.
- Wong SH, Yu J. Gut microbiota in colorectal cancer: mechanisms of action and clinical applications. Nat Rev Gastroenterol Hepatol. 2019;16(11):690-704.