- Assistant Dean (Education), Faculty of Medicine
- Professor and Associate Director (Undergraduate Education), School of Biomedical Sciences
- Associate Head and Dean (General Education), New Asia College
- Developmental Biology
Education & Qualifications
BSc, MPhil (CUHK), DPhil (Oxon)
- Axon growth and pathfinding
- Protection of the eye in degenerative and inflammatory diseases
- Vice Chancellor’s Exemplary Teaching Award, The Chinese University of Hong Kong, 2012
- Teacher of The Year Award, Faculty of Medicine, The Chinese University of Hong Kong, 2000-2001, 2003-2005, 2008-2012
- Master Teacher Award, Faculty of Medicine, The Chinese University of Hong Kong, 2003
Academic Engagement in CUHK
- Coordinator, Dissecting Laboratory and Body Donation Programme
- Chairman, Preclinical Education Committee
- Year 3 Coordinator, MBChB Programme
- Wang L, Yu C, Wang J, Leung P, Ma D, Zhao H, Taylor JSH, Chan SO (2017) Nogo-B is the major form of Nogo at the floor plate and likely mediates crossing of commissural axons in the mouse spinal cord. Journal of Comparative Neurology 525:2915-2928.
- Chu WK, Law KS, Chan SO, Yam JCSY, Chen LJ, Zhang H, Cheung HS, Block NL, Schally AV, Pang CP (2016) Antagonists of growth hormone-releasing hormone receptor induce apoptosis specifically in retinoblastoma cells. Proceedings of National Academy of Science USA, 113(50):14396-14401.
- Yang YP, Qin YJ, Yip YWY, Chan KP, Chu KO, Chu WK, Ng TK, Pang CP, Chan SO (2016) Green tea catechins are potent anti-oxidants that ameliorate sodium iodate-induced retinal degeneration in rats. Scientific Reports, 6:29546, doi:10.1038/srep29546.
- Qin YJ, Chan SO, Chong KKL, Li BFL, Ng TK, Yip YWY, Chen H, Zhang M, Block NL, Cheung HS, Schally AV, Pang CP (2014) Antagonist of GH-releasing hormone receptors alleviates experimental ocular inflammation. Proceedings of National Academy of Science USA 111:18303-18308.
- Yang Y, Ng TK, Ye C, Yip YWY, Law KS, Chan SO, Pang CP (2014). Assessing sodium iodate induced outer retinal changes in rats using confocal scanning laser ophthalmoscopy and optical coherence tomography. Investigative Ophthalmology and Visual Science 55:1696-1705.
- Wang J, Chan CK, Taylor JSH, Chan SO (2008) The growth inhibitory protein Nogo is involved in midline routing of axons in the mouse optic chiasm. Journal of Neuroscience Research 86:2581-2590.
- Leung KM, Taylor JSH, Chan SO (2003) Enzymatic removal of chondroitin sulfates abolishes the age-related axon order in the optic tract of mouse embryos. European Journal of Neuroscience 17:1755-1767.
- Chung KY, Taylor JSH, Shum DKY, Chan SO (2000) Axon routing at the optic chiasm after enzymatic removal of chondroitin sulfate in mouse embryos. Development 127:2673-2683.
- Chung KY, Shum DKY, Chan SO (2000) Expression of chondroitin sulfate proteoglycans in the chiasm of mouse embryos. Journal of Comparative Neurology 417:153-163.
- Chan SO, Guillery RW (1993) Developmental changes produced in the retinofugal pathways of rats and ferrets by early monocular enucleations: The effects of age and the differences between normal and albino animals. Journal of Neuroscience 13:5277-5293.