- Associate Dean (Student Affairs), Faculty of Medicine
- Director, Global Physician-Leadership Stream (GPS), MBChB Programme
- Chairman, Department of Surgery
- Chief, Division of Colorectal Surgery, Department of Surgery
- Professor, Institute of Digestive Disease, State Key Laboratory of Digestive Disease
- Assembly of Fellows, S.H. Ho College
- Colorectal surgery
- Laparoscopic and robotic surgery
Education & Qualifications
MBChB(Hons)(CUHK), MD(CUHK), FRCS(Edin), FCSHK, FRCSEd(Gen), FHKAM(Surgery)
- Minimally invasive and robotic surgery for colorectal diseases
- Advanced endoscopic therapy for colorectal diseases
- Multimodality treatment for colorectal cancer
- Colorectal cancer screening
- Molecular biomarkers for colorectal cancer
- Integrative medicine
Award & Honour
University Education Award, CUHK, 2023
Faculty Education Award, Faculty of Medicine, CUHK, 2023
Hospital Authority New Territories East Cluster Outstanding Team Award, 2022
Shanghai Science and Technology Progress Award – First-class Award, 2022
Shanghai Medical Science and Technology Award – First-class Award, 2019
Outstanding Fellowship, Faculty of Medicine, CUHK, 2019
Positive Workplace Service Award, CUHK, 2018-2019
Teacher of the Year Awards, Faculty of Medicine, CUHK, 2005-06, 2006-07, 2007-08, 2008-09, 2009-10, 2017, 2018, 2019
State Natural Science Award – Second-class Award, 2016
Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh China Medal, 2014 & 2016
British Journal of Surgery Prize, The European Society of Coloproctology, 2011
Ministry of Education Higher Education Outstanding Scientific Research Output Award – First-class Award in Natural Sciences, 2014
GB Ong Travelling Fellowship, 2011
International Guest Scholar, The American College of Surgeons, 2010
Ten Outstanding Young Persons of Hong Kong, 2010
Master Teacher Award, Faculty of Medicine, CUHK, 2010
Northern California Society of Colon and Rectal Surgeons Award, The American Society of Colon and Rectal Surgeons, 2008
Li-Shields’ Medal, 2002
City Lions Club Gold Medal, 1995
Dr. R. C. Lee Memorial Gold Medal in Surgery, 1995
- Cluster Service Team Head in Colorectal Surgery, New Territories East Cluster, Hospital Authority
- Member, Grant Review Board, Health and Medical Research Fund, Health Bureau, The Government of the Hong Kong SAR
- Member, Enterprise Support Scheme (ESS) Assessment Panel, Innovation and Technology Fund, Innovation and Technology Commission, The Government of the Hong Kong SAR
- President, Hong Kong Society for Coloproctology
- Co-Chair, Global Reach Committee, European Society of Coloproctology
- Sung JJY, Luk AKC, Ng SSM, Ng ACF, Chiu PKF, Chan EYY, Cheung PSY, Chu WCW, Wong SH, Lam TYT, Wong SYS. Effectiveness of One-Stop Screening for Colorectal, Breast, and Prostate Cancers: A Population-Based Feasibility Study. Front Oncol 2021; 11: 631666.
- Dong Y, Zhang Y, Kang W, Wang G, Chen H, Higashimori A, Natkatsu G, Go M, Tong JHM, Zheng S, To KF, Sung JJY, Yang X, Ng SSM. VSTM2A suppressed colorectal cancer as a novel Wnt antagonist by directly causing LRP6 degradation. Theranostics 2019; 9: 6517-6531.
- Park JS, Sakai Y, Ng SS, Law WL, Kim HR, Oh JH, Cheung HY, Kwak SG, Choi GS. Long-Term Survival and Local Relapse Following Surgery Without Radiotherapy for Locally Advanced Upper Rectal Cancer: An International Multi-Institutional Study. Medicine (Baltimore) 2016; 95: e2990.
- Ng SS, Lee JF, Yiu RY, Li JC, Hon SS, Mak TW, Leung WW, Leung KL. Long-Term Oncologic Outcomes of Laparoscopic Versus Open Surgery for Rectal Cancer: A Pooled Analysis of 3 Randomized Controlled Trials. Ann Surg 2014; 259: 139-147.
- Ng SS, Lee JF, Yiu RY, Li JC, Hon SS, Mak TW, Ngo DK, Leung WW, Leung KL. Laparoscopic-assisted versus open total mesorectal excision with anal sphincter preservation for mid and low rectal cancer: a prospective randomized trial. Surg Endosc 2014; 28: 297-306.
- Ng SS, Leung WW, Mak TW, Hon SS, Li JC, Wong CY, Tsoi KK, Lee JF. Electroacupuncture Reduces Duration of Postoperative Ileus After Laparoscopic Surgery for Colorectal Cancer. Gastroenterology 2013; 144: 307-313.
- Wu CW, Ng SS, Dong Y, Ng SC, Leung WW, Lee CW, Wong YN, Chan FK, Yu J, Sung JJ. Detection of miR-92a and miR-21 in stool samples as potential screening biomarkers for colorectal cancer and polyps. Gut 2012; 61: 739-745.
- Ng SS, Leung KL, Lee JF, Yiu RY, Li JC, Hon SS. Long-term morbidity and oncologic outcomes of laparoscopic-assisted anterior resection for upper rectal cancer: ten-year results of a prospective, randomized trial. Dis Colon Rectum 2009; 52: 558-566.
- Ng SS, Leung KL, Lee JF, Yiu RY, Li JC, Teoh AY, Leung WW. Laparoscopic-assisted versus open abdominoperineal resection for low rectal cancer: a prospective randomized trial. Ann Surg Oncol 2008; 15: 2418-2425.
- Ng SS, Leung KL, Lee JF, Yiu RY, Li JC. MRC CLASICC trial. Lancet 2005; 366: 713.