- Associate Dean (Student Affairs), Faculty of Medicine
- Director, Global Physician-Leadership Stream (GPS), MBChB Programme
- Professor, Department of Surgery
- Professor (by courtesy), School of Biomedical Sciences
- Assembly of Fellows, S.H. Ho College
- Colorectal surgery
- Laparoscopic and robotic surgery
Education & Qualifications
MBChB(Hons)(CUHK), MD(CUHK), FRCS(Edin), FCSHK, FRCSEd(Gen), FHKAM(Surgery)
- Minimally invasive and robotic surgery for colorectal diseases
- Advanced endoscopic therapy for colorectal diseases
- Multimodality treatment for colorectal cancer
- Colorectal cancer screening
- Molecular biomarkers for colorectal cancer
- Integrative medicine
Award & Honour
Outstanding Fellowship, Faculty of Medicine, CUHK, 2019
Positive Workplace Service Award, CUHK, 2018-2019
Teacher of the Year Awards, Faculty of Medicine, CUHK, 2005-06, 2006-07, 2007-08, 2008-09, 2009-10, 2017, 2018, 2019
State Natural Science Award – Second-class Award, 2016
Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh China Medal, 2014 & 2016
British Journal of Surgery Prize, The European Society of Coloproctology, 2011 & 2014
Ministry of Education Higher Education Outstanding Scientific Research Output Award – First-class Award in Natural Sciences, 2014
Certificate of Merit for Doctor of Medicine Thesis, CUHK, 2013
Fellowship of the American College of Surgeons, FACS, 2011
GB Ong Travelling Fellowship, 2011
International Guest Scholar, The American College of Surgeons, 2010
Ten Outstanding Young Persons of Hong Kong, 2010
Master Teacher Award, Faculty of Medicine, CUHK, 2010
Northern California Society of Colon and Rectal Surgeons Award, The American Society of Colon and Rectal Surgeons, 2008
Li-Shields’ Medal, 2002
City Lions Club Gold Medal, 1995
Dr. R. C. Lee Memorial Gold Medal in Surgery, 1995
- President, Hong Kong Society for Coloproctology
- Chairman, CME & CPD Committee, College of Surgeons of Hong Kong
- Member, Colorectal Cancer Screening Pilot Programme Task Force, Department of Health
- Member, Grant Review Board, Food and Health Bureau
- Member, New Territories Regional Advisory Committee, Hospital Authority
- Ng SS, Lee JF, Yiu RY, Li JC, Hon SS, Mak TW, Leung WW, Leung KL. Long-Term Oncologic Outcomes of Laparoscopic Versus Open Surgery for Rectal Cancer: A Pooled Analysis of 3 Randomized Controlled Trials. Ann Surg 2014; 259: 139-147.
- Ng SS, Lee JF, Yiu RY, Li JC, Hon SS, Mak TW, Ngo DK, Leung WW, Leung KL. Laparoscopic-assisted versus open total mesorectal excision with anal sphincter preservation for mid and low rectal cancer: a prospective randomized trial. Surg Endosc 2014; 28: 297-306.
- Ng SS, Leung WW, Mak TW, Hon SS, Li JC, Wong CY, Tsoi KK, Lee JF. Electroacupuncture Reduces Duration of Postoperative Ileus After Laparoscopic Surgery for Colorectal Cancer. Gastroenterology 2013; 144: 307-313.
- Wu CW, Ng SS, Dong Y, Ng SC, Leung WW, Lee CW, Wong YN, Chan FK, Yu J, Sung JJ. Detection of miR-92a and miR-21 in stool samples as potential screening biomarkers for colorectal cancer and polyps. Gut 2012; 61: 739-745.
- Ng EK, Chong WW, Jin H, Lam EK, Shin VY, Yu J, Poon TC, Ng SS, Sung JJ. Differential expression of microRNAs in plasma of colorectal cancer patients: A potential marker for colorectal cancer screening. Gut 2009; 58: 1375-1381.
- Ng SS, Leung KL, Lee JF, Yiu RY, Li JC, Hon SS. Long-term morbidity and oncologic outcomes of laparoscopic-assisted anterior resection for upper rectal cancer: ten-year results of a prospective, randomized trial. Dis Colon Rectum 2009; 52: 558-566.
- Ng SS, Leung KL, Lee JF, Yiu RY, Li JC, Teoh AY, Leung WW. Laparoscopic-assisted versus open abdominoperineal resection for low rectal cancer: a prospective randomized trial. Ann Surg Oncol 2008; 15: 2418-2425.
- Ng SS, Li JC, Lee JF, Yiu RY, Leung KL. Laparoscopic total colectomy for colorectal cancers: a comparative study. Surg Endosc 2006; 20: 1193-1196.
- Ng SS, Leung KL, Lee JF, Yiu RY, Li JC. MRC CLASICC trial. Lancet 2005; 366: 713.
- Leung KL, Kwok SP, Lam SC, Lee JF, Yiu RY, Ng SS, Lai PB, Lau WY. Laparoscopic resection of rectosigmoid carcinoma: prospective randomised trial. Lancet 2004; 363: 1187-1192.