- Associate Dean (Health Systems)
- Professor, Division of Gastroenterology & Hepatology, Department of Medicine & Therapeutics
- Professor, Institute of Digestive Disease
- Professor and Founding Director, Hong Kong Institute of Integrative Medicine
- Associate Head and Trustee, Shaw College
- Member, The Council of CUHK
Education & Qualifications
MBChB (CUHK), MRCP (UK), MD (CUHK), FHKCP, FHKAM, FRCP (Edinburgh), FRCP (London)
- Gastroesophageal reflux disease
- Functional gastrointestinal disorder
- Gastrointestinal motility
- Integrative Chinese and Western Medicine
Award & Honour
- Leader of the Year, Hong Kong Health Awards, 2017
- Education Award, Faculty of Medicine, 2014
- Master Teacher, Faculty of Medicine, 2012
- Emerging Leader in Gastroenterology, Asia Pacific Digestive Week, 2008
- The Vice Chancellor’s Exemplary Teaching Award, 2007
- Teacher of The Year Award, Faculty of Medicine, 2005-2008 & 2011
- Chairman, CUHK Medical Services
- Chairman and Executive Councillor, Asia Diabetes Foundation
- Scientific Chairman, Asian Neurogastroenterology and Motility Association
- President, Asian Pacific Association of Gastroenterology
Academic Engagement in CUHK
- Mentor and Founding Director, Global Physician-Leadership Stream, MBChB Programme
Researcher ID: N-6916-2015
- Pui Kuan Cheong, Alexander C Ford, Cynthia K Y Cheung, Jessica Y L Ching, Yawen Chan, Joseph J Y Sung, Francis K L Chan, Justin C Y Wu. Low-dose imipramine for refractory functional dyspepsia: a randomised, double-blind, placebo-controlled trial. Lancet Gastroenterology & Hepatology 2018; 3: 837-844.
- C.K.Y. Cheung, L.L. Lan , M. Kyaw, A.D.P. Mak, A. Chan, Y. Chan, J.C.Y. Wu. Up‐regulation of transient receptor potential vanilloid (TRPV) and down‐regulation of brain‐derived neurotrophic factor (BDNF) expression in patients with functional dyspepsia (FD). Neurogastroenterology & Motility 2018; 30: e13176.
- Cheung, C.K., Lee, Y.Y., Chan, Y., Cheong, P.K., Law, W.T., Lee, S.F., Sung, J.J., Chan, F.K., & Wu, J.C.. Decreased basal and postprandial plasma serotonin levels in patients with functional dyspepsia. Clinical Gastroenterology and Hepatology 2013; 11: 1125-1129
- Wu, J.C.Y., Lai, L.H., Chow, D.K.L., Wong, G.L.H., Sung, J.J.Y., & Chan, F.K.L. Concomitant irritable bowel syndrome is associated with failure of step-down on-demand proton pump inhibitor treatment in patients with gastro-esophageal reflux disease. Neurogastroenterology & Motility, 2011; 23, 155-e31.
- Wu, J.C.Y., Mui, L.M., Cheung, C.M.Y., Chan, Y., & Sung, J.J.Y. 2007. Obesity is associated with increased transient lower esophageal sphincter relaxation. Gastroenterology 2007; 132: 883-889.
- Wu, J.C., Cheung, C.M., Wong, V.W., & Sung, J.J.. Distinct clinical characteristics between patients with nonerosive reflux disease and those with reflux esophagitis. Clinical Gastroenterology and Hepatology 2007; 5: 690-695.
- Wu, J.C.Y., Chan, F.K.L., Ching, J.Y.L., Leung, W.K., Hui, Y., Leong, R., Chung, S.C.S., & Sung, J.J.Y. 2004. Effect of Helicobacter pylori eradication on treatment of gastro-oesophageal reflux disease: a double blind, placebo controlled, randomised trial. Gut, 53, (2) 174-179.
- Wu JCY, Chan FKL, Ching JYL, Leung WK, Lee YT, Sung JJY. Empirical treatment based on “typical” reflux symptom is inappropriate in population with high prevalence of H. pylori infection. Gastrointest Endosc 2002: 55; 461.
- Wu JCY, Chan FKL, Lai ACW, Lee YT, Wong SKH, Leung WK, Sung JJY. Effect of H. pylori eradication on esophageal acid exposure in patients with reflux esophagitis. Aliment Pharmacol Ther 2002:16; 545.
- Wu, J.C., Sung, J.J., Ng, E.K., Go, M.Y., Chan, W.B., Chan, F.K., Leung, W.K., Choi, C.L., & Chung, S.C.S. 1999. Prevalence and distribution of Helicobacter pylori in gastroesophageal reflux disease: a study from the East. The American Journal of Gastroenterology, 94, (7) 1790-1794.