Assistant Dean (Mainland Affairs), Faculty of Medicine
Professor, Department of Medicine and Therapeutics
Director, Institute of Digestive Disease
Director, Research Laboratory of Institute of Digestive Disease
Director, State Key Laboratory of Digestive Disease (CUHK)
- Gastrointestinal cancer
- Fatty Liver Disease
- Microbiome in Cancer
Education & Qualifications
MB, MM (Heibei Med); MD, PhD (Tongji Med).
- Genomic and epigenomic alterations in gastrointestinal (GI) cancer
- Gut microbiome, bacteria/host interaction during cancer development
- Non-alcoholic fatty liver disease and liver cancer in relation to the mechanisms and therapeutic targets
- Biomarkers for early detection and treatment of GI cancer
Award & Honour
- The 7th Chinese Medical Women Association (CMWA) Wuzhou Women Science & Technology Award – Research Innovation Award for Preclinical Medicine, 2021
- The State Natural Science Award (SNSA) second-class award, 2020
- Ho Leung Ho Lee Fund Science and Technology Progress Award (Medicine), 2018
- American Gastroenterology Association Council Oncology Research Mentor Award, 2017
- The WuXi PharmaTech Life Science and Chemistry Award, 2017
- The State Scientific and Technological Progress Award (Natural Science), 2016
- The State Scientific and Technological Progress Award (Innovation Team), 2016
- Croucher Senior Research Fellowship Hong Kong, 2016
- Outstanding Fellow of Faculty of Medicine CUHK, 2015
- Ministry of Education Higher Education Outstanding Scientific Research Output Award – First-class Award in Natural Sciences, 2010 and 2014
- The State Scientific and Technological Progress Award (Science and Technology Progress), 2012
- Ministry of Education Higher Education Outstanding Scientific Research Output Award – First-class Award in Scientific & Technological Progress, 2012
- Associate Chairman of National Cancer and Microbiome Association
- Council member of AGA Microbiome and Microbial Diseases USA
- Council member of The International Cancer Microbiome Consortium UK
- Council member of American Gastroenterology Association (AGA) Oncology USA
- Chang Jiang Scholar Chair Professor
Associate Chairman of HK Scientist Association
Associate Editor for Oncogene, Editor for Gut, Scientific Reports, JGH etc.
President of Hong Kong Immunology Association, 2017-2018
President of Hong Kong Flow Cytometry Association, 2015-2016
- Zhang X, Fan L, Wu J, Xu H, Leung WY, Fu K, Wu J, Liu K, Kwan M, Yang X, Han J, Ren J, Yu J. Macrophage p38α promotes nutritional steatohepatitis through M1 polarization. J Hepatol. 2019 Jul;71(1):163-174.
- Coker OO, Nakatsu G, Dai RZ, Wu WKK, Wong SH, Ng SC, Chan FKL, Sung JJY, Yu J. Enteric fungal microbiota dysbiosis and ecological alterations in colorectal cancer. Gut. 2019 Apr;68(4):654-662.
- Liang JQ, Teoh N, Xu L, Pok S, Li X, Chu ESH, Chiu J, Dong L, Arfianti E, Haigh WG, Yeh MM, Ioannou GN, Sung JJY, Farrell G, Yu J. Dietary cholesterol promotes steatohepatitis related hepatocellular carcinoma through dysregulated metabolism and calcium signaling. Nat Commun. 2018 Oct 26;9(1):4490.
- Nakatsu G, Zhou H, Wu WKK, Wong SH, Coker OO, Dai Z, Li X, Szeto CH, Sugimura N, Yuen-Tung Lam T, Chi-Shing Yu A, Wang X, Chen Z, Chi-Sang Wong M, Ng SC, Chan MTV, Chan PKS, Leung Chan FK, Jao-Yiu Sung J, Yu J. Alterations in Enteric Virome Associate With Colorectal Cancer and Survival Outcomes. Gastroenterology. 2018 Aug;155(2):529-541.e5.
- Coker OO, Dai Z, Nie Y, Zhao G, Cao L, Nakatsu G, Wu WK, Wong SH, Chen Z, Sung JJY, Yu J. Mucosal microbiome dysbiosis in gastric carcinogenesis. Gut. 2018 Jun;67(6):1024-1032.
- Sun W, Zhang Y, Wong KC, Liu K, Yang Y, Wu B, Tong JH, Chan AW, Chan HL, Yu J. Increased expression of GATA Zinc Finger Domain Containing 1 via gene amplification promotes liver cancer by directly inducing PRL3. Hepatology. 2018 Jun;67(6):2302-2319.
- Liu D, Wong CC, Fu L, Chen H, Zhao L, Li C, Zhou Y, Zhang Y, Xu W, Yang Y, Wu B, Cheng G, Lai PB, Wong N, Sung JJY, Yu J. Squalene epoxidase drives NAFLD-induced hepatocellular carcinoma and is a pharmaceutical target. Sci Transl Med. 2018 Apr 18;10(437).
- Tsoi H, Chu ES, Zhang X, Sheng J, Nakatsu D, Ng SC, Chan AW, Chan FK, Sung JJ, Yu J. Peptostreptococcus anaerobius Induces Intracellular Cholesterol Biosynthesis in Colon Cells to Induce Proliferation and Causes Dysplasia in Mice. Gastroenterology. 2017 May;152(6):1419-1433.e5.
- Wong CC, Qian Y, Li X, Xu J, Kang W, Tong JH, To KF, Jin Y, Li W, Chen H, Go MY, Wu JL, Cheng KW, Ng SS, Sung JJ, Cai Z, Yu J. SLC25A22 Promotes Proliferation and Survival of Colorectal Cancer Cells With KRAS Mutations, and Xenograft Tumor Progression in Mice, via Intracellular Synthesis of Aspartate. Gastroenterology. 2016 Nov;151(5):945-960.
- Zhang J, Tsoi H, Li X, Wang H, Gao J, Wang K, Go MY, Ng SC, Chan FK, Sung JJ, Yu J. Carbonic anhydrase IV inhibits colon cancer development by inhibiting the Wnt signalling pathway through targeting the WTAP-WT1-TBL1 axis. Gut. 2016 Sep;65(9):1482-93.